Mold Removal Unit
What is Acremonium Mold?
Acremonium is a genus of fungus that consists of approximately 100 species. The presence of this slow-growing, prolific mold can be detected by its unpleasant stench in the air.
Acremonium is potentially toxic if ingested. Individuals who are allergic to this fungus can experience nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It can cause nail infections, corneal ulcers, endocarditis, and meningitis. As an opportunistic infection, it often occurs because of steroid therapy, indwelling catheters, immunosuppressive drugs or post-surgery infection. Other illnesses include arthritis, osteomyelitis, peritonitis and pneumonia.
The mycotoxins produced by this type of mold, under certain conditions, are potent inhibitors of DNA, RNA and breakdown of protein in the body. This mold is being studied extensively due to significant concern over its potential abuse, specifically with regard to biological warfare. These mycotoxins and variants are a carcinogen, having the ability to destroy the immune system, internal organs, bone marrow and brain.
How to Identify Acremonium Mold
Generally speaking, acremonium colonies are often gray, white, pink, or orange in color, and if found early, are verytypically moist in the early stage. If the fungus has been thriving for a greater amount significant period of time, it may have a powdery texture. Given the subtle differences between the various types of mold, it may still be difficult to classify the mold as acremonium.
Facts about Acremonium
Here are some facts:
From Lethal to Helpful
Tips to Control Mold
If there are signs of this fungus you suspect that your home may contain acremonium, it is important to locate it, and destroy it as soon as possible, whether by doing it yourself or by calling a professional. Once the mold has been eradicated from the premises, ensure that it is not given a chance to mature again. Render by rendering the area as dry as possible, and maintaining it that way. You can purchase either a mold detector or a dehumidifier in order to be constantly aware of the temperature humidity levels in sections of the house where mold is prone to grow.
Although there are numerous antifungal medications are available to fight
infection, these medications drugs do not always produce successful results.
Author info: Carol C. is a registered nurse with experience in many areas of nursing who specializes in mental health and addictions. Her articles allow her the opportunity to share her knowledge and expertise on many health subjects.
©since 2003 Mold Patrol Testing Unit, all rights reserved